Friday, November 14, 2008

Yard Sale, Party, Hobby, and Laundry

I think they are prettier in person.
I have been a loser on the blogfront, and I apologize for my blog laziness. This week has been kind of nice. We went bowling last weekend for the first time in around a year. We average about once a year for bowling, but we love it! I actually bowled pretty well--not at all like the time I bowled a 22. For real.


We have been digging through closets and under the bed in preparation for a massive yard sale we are having tomorrow, snow or shine. Anyone need a tv or a lava lamp? We have much to offer! Yes, we are getting rid of the tv. I am actually really glad to get rid of it. We can still watch tv on the computer if we feel the need--and we did last night to watch The Office and ER.


Sunday we are having Isaiah's birthday party. He's going to be 4 on Monday! I can't believe I am going to have a 4 year old--that makes me feel ancient! So in addition to dragging out every last piece of junk in our house for our yard sale, I am also trying to clean like a mad woman for the party on Sunday. And I'll have to cook before then, too. I have so much to do, but I work much better with a deadline. Now that I have a goal, the house should look pretty good by the party.


This week I have been crocheting a pair of fingerless gloves. I didn't know if I even really liked them until I started crocheting them, but I definitely do now. I also love picking up a hobby again. Without tv I am going to need one! I have also read about 4 chapters of my new book about keeping house. I really like it, but am taking a mini break from it until my house is clean enough to implement her strategies for KEEPING house. She doesn't have any tips for bringing a house out of the depths... But a tip I got from Nathan (not from my book) has really worked for me this week. I have been struggling with keeping the laundry even moderately kept up--the only form of clean laundry being jumbled basket on top of basket of clean clothes waiting to be folded in the living room. Literally for weeks. So, Nathan suggested I try folding clothes straight out of the dryer on top of the washing machine. I was very resistant at first, but it really does work! I usually have just enough room to fold one load and then I HAVE to put them away because I need to get the next load out of the washing machine and into the dryer. The result is approximately 8 loads of clothes not only folded, but put away where they belong! Last night I thought I would put just one load in a basket and fold them while watching the office. I folded about 4 baby shirts then quit and that basket still sits jumbled in my living room floor along with another basket from 2 weeks ago. SO, I have learned that the folding-on-top-of-the-washer system works way better than the leaving-in-baskets-on-the-floor system.

No comments: