Thursday, March 31, 2011
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Monday, March 28, 2011
To start, we have a lovely rendition of a weekend at the lake. Including a woody station wagon and a log cabin that looks nothing like our house. This is the room that will go last when we start changing stuff. The wallpaper is the least offensive as it is neutral and the ceilings are higher in this room so you don't notice the border as immediately. This americana "angel" border makes me crazy. It's in my bedroom and every time I lie down, I notice the ugly that is this border. Note that is is atop navy painted wallpaper. If there is anything worse than wallpaper, it is painted wallpaper.
In the bathroom, which I'm not likely to show you anytime soon, there are layers of wallpaper covered in a textured paint. I think we're just going to sand the walls a little smoother and paint over it again. Better than trying to strip all that off of plaster.
It feels good to get this all out.
Friday, March 25, 2011
- I have lost 7 pounds this week, for a total of at least 22 pounds lost (just a drop in the bucket really)
- I can now wear jeans I haven't been able to wear for more than a year!
- I have to clean my disaster of a house today. It's gross.
- I have gone through bins and bins of clothes to organize them. It took days, but now they are organized by gender and size.
- We disassembled and moved a wooden swing set/slide thing that Nathan found on craigslist yesterday. It was a great deal for us (only $50!), although it was pretty hard to move. We are excited to have a jungle gym for the kids to play on. We only need to reassemble it, which shouldn't take long, but now it's sooo cold that it will probably be a while before the kids get to play on it. Pictures will come soon!
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
It's not even ten, and we have already had a party! Balloons, presents, birthday pancakes (with sprinkles and chocolate chips) and her choice of movie on netflix have made for a great birthday morning. I hope she has a wonderful day :)
Monday, March 21, 2011
Sunday, March 20, 2011
I demolished these like it was my job.
Saturday, March 19, 2011
Now we're only waiting on the weather. Although it was 70 and perfect here yesterday, I'm sure there will be some freezing temps to come.
Here's proof that I actually helped.
We still have a lot of tilling to do in the huge garden box on the front of the house, and in two other places in the yard. If the weather stays this beautiful there should be no problem getting it done before the last frost date. We are also planning on starting our vineyard with a couple of grapevines this year. We will be following the vineyard instructions in The Backyard Homestead. I'm still trying to talk Nathan into berries this year, but I have a feeling it will be next year before we start those. The garden excitement is still building, as I'm trying to figure out exactly how much I need to preserve for the next year. All I know is that we need a boatload of tomatoes.
Enjoy your Saturday!
Thursday, March 17, 2011
some weeds and wrought iron
even more weeds and a partial view of my backyard
a lamp post downtown in a nearby small town
It was a good sketch week with lots of inspiration and encouragement. I'm excited to fill up a sketchbook for the first time. I'm still probably a few weeks away from that, but, trust me, I'll let you know when it happens!
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Saturday, March 12, 2011
Thursday, March 10, 2011
This rocked off area will hopefully become a flower garden. I want to be able to cut flowers and bring them in all summer. We will have zinnias, gladiolas were here when we moved in, and about 20 other varieties that I can't remember right now. (the littlest pet shops and my little ponies will probably be removed prior to planting.)
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
the last cookie, and the recipe (our favorite and healthiest cookie!) with a flower from a placemat that my great grandmother made.
- I got my second ever paycheck for selling hats yesterday!!
- My daughter threw a tantrum yesterday, the likes of which have NEVER been seen around these parts, resulting in her absolute incarceration for as long as she continues to present such an attitude toward her mother. This includes putting away ALL of her toys into big black garbage bags which she may not access, and taking away pretty much every choice she had before, including wardrobe, hairstyle, drink choice...
- I tried to buy a camera yesterday at 2 wal-marts, but neither had any of the ones I wanted in stock. Then I left my purse (full of hat money) in the shopping cart and didn't realize it until I got home. I prayed to God that it wouldn't be stolen, and by His grace it wasn't. Someone returned it to customer service with *all* of the money still in it.
- the sickness is upon us. A gross snotty coughing cold has invaded most of our bodies, making it difficult to do anything but hold sad sick babies (or waste time on the internet) while the dishes pile up, and the out of control laundry officially wins the war.
- I am grateful that it's only a cold, that people will buy the hats I make,that God cares to answer what I perceive to be insignificant prayers, that we have clothes to launder, and that my daughter might come out of this with a lesson learned (please pray it is so!!). And I am grateful that yesterday is over, and that today is looking slightly less sucky.