Friday, March 4, 2011

Low Carb Lowdown

a terrible picture of our new "in home gym" ha!

This is my assessment of the low carb diet I have assumed since Feb. 12:




The first week was constantly searching, what can I have to eat? Open fridge, shut fridge, go to pantry, back to fridge, finally give up, or eat cheese and nuts.




The second week was a little better. I knew what I could have and anticipated for the next meal a little more.




the 3rd week was the best because it was grocery shopping week, so we knew exactly what to get.




Here is a typical day of meals:


Breakfast- 2 string cheese


lunch- salad with chicken and bacon, almonds, cheese and ranch


supper- taco salad without the chips (salad, cheese, taco meat, taco sauce/salsa)


snacks include strawberries, nuts of all kinds, a couple tablespoons of cool whip (1 carb per tbsp.), more cheese...




The things that have made it easier are:


1. low carb tortillas. we use them in place of buns, biscuits, chips, and pizza crust.


2. fitting in a treat every day.


3. diet mtn. dew. I know that it is so bad for me, but if I lose as much weight as I am planning to and diet mtn. dew can help, I'm willing to choose this vice (for a time) over sweets, bread, and pasta.


4. the fact that my parents, sister, and brother-in-law are all doing the same thing. When we go to my parent's for a meal we don't have to worry about a bunch of high carb temptations.




What makes it harder is that:


1. it takes forethought and preparation.


2. I can't have sweet tea :( (at least not the kind I am used to)


3. our restaurant options are somewhat limited, and in our small town, there aren't any good out food options. Which leads me to say...


Last night I ate chinese and dark chocolate. It was delicious and indulgent, and now I am right back on track this morning.


In total I have lost about 15 pounds and have been stuck there for several days. I believe this can work for me, and it's the first time I have ever had short term and long term weight loss goals. My husband and I are introducing yoga and cardio to the program too, so who knows? Maybe this can be a lifestyle change, like my mom keeps saying, instead of just a diet.

No comments: